Tau Sigma Honor Society
Tau Sigma is the National Honor Society exclusively for Transfer Students! This organization is designed to recognize and promote the academic excellence and involvement of transfer students at four-year universities. UCLA’s Tau Sigma Chapter, Gamma Psi, inducts the most outstanding transfer students at UCLA each year and actively striely strives to help our University better serve the transfer population.
National Standards for Tau Sigma membership eligibility are as follows:
- Students must transfer to an institution of higher learning from another academic institution with at least one full year’s academic credits satisfied at the prior institution(s).
- Students must be registered in a course of study leading to a bachelor’s degree for an amount of work equal to an average full-time course load (12 or more credits).
- Membership to the organization shall be based upon superior academic achievement by the students during their first term in the institution to which they transfers.
- The minimum academic average required for membership is a 3.5 or higher on a 4.0 grade point average. Eligibility is limited to the first term of enrollment at the institution to which the students transfers.
If you have received an email invitation to join, please complete the steps outlined on the invitation with your specialized code to join online through the membership website. Membership dues are $50 (this does not include any late fees).
If you believe you are eligible based on the requirements listed above, please email UCLA’s Tau Sigma Co-Advisors Sarah Molitoris (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Lindsey Goldstein (email@example.com) with your name, student ID number, and information on your academic record during your first quarter at UCLA.
Benefits of Membership
- Formal Induction Ceremony A family-friendly event to formally induct members into the Honor Society and to celebrate each transfer student’s prestigious academic achievement.
- Tau Sigma Scholarships Scholarships are awarded annually by the National Chapter ranging from $500 to $2500. An application is made available each fall term and every local chapter may nominate at least one nominee to be sent on to the Tau Sigma Scholarship Committee. Upon completing the evaluation of the applicants, scholarships will be announced in December and awarded in January.
- Tau Sigma Commencement Honor Cords Highlight your academic accomplishments and distinguish yourself as a Tau Sigma Honors Society member at commencement with specially designed honor cords available only to members.
- Professional Development Opportunities Being recognized as a member of Tau Sigma Honors Society provides members with leadership opportunities, lifelong networking communities, occasions to get involved on a university, local, or even national level, and the public acknowledgement that members are high achieving and reach for excellence in all that that they do.
- Opportunities to travel to, present, and participate in the Tau Sigma’s National Leadership Conference As a member you are eligible to take advantage of the career development and leadership opportunity that national conferences offer. Meet other like-minded transfers and network at the national conference.
- Provide the motivation and representation of the academic excellence of all incoming transfer students.